Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Things to Be Thankful For...

1. The beautiful child that Thomas and I prayed for so diligently.
2. A beautiful home with food in the fridge, running water and electricity.
3. Two cars that are paid off (and, along with that, $1.50 gas)
4. A warm bed (or couch, depending upon whose night it is to stay up for breathing treatments)
5. An incredible family who is picking up the slack where we need help. (Thanks mom for doing the laundry, and cleaning out the fridge (okay, I didn't say the food in the fridge was any good anymore...haha) and finding the lost socks. Oh yeah, and for watching my son so I don't get fired!!)
6. A beautiful Christmas tree with two pathetic little gifts under it.
7. A family that understands that while we can't give the gifts we wish we could, we love them more than words could say!
8. A husband who actually gets up in the middle of the night to take care of my son so that I can get sleep.
9. Goat's Milk
10. Pediatricians
11. Pediatric Gastroentorologists
12. Health Insurance
13. The fact that Malachi ONLY has RSV and whatever else is wrong. The fact that Malachi DOESN'T have Cancer and doesn't have to take medicine that literally kills the cells in his body.
14. The little smiles we get to see every now and then.
15. YOUTUBE so we can go back and watch videos of when Malachi WAS healthy.
16. The fact that God has everything under control and knows when we'll see Malachi healthy AGAIN!
17. Tears - they can be so therapeutic.
18. Nancy, for teaching me that "This Too Shall Pass"

Most importantly, I'm thankful for a God that has made me into the woman I am and who continues to know my heart. He continues to know my hurts, my sorrows, my fears and my worries. He also knows how to heal my hurts, restore my sorrows, give me courage for my fears and lend a shoulder for my worries. The Bible says to cast all our cares upon Him. Yes, right now, I sound so strong. (It's just a facade) I'm not strong. I cry often. I get frustrated. I may have muttered a dirty word yesterday when Dr. Young told us Malachi has RSV. I yell at Thomas when I can't take it anymore (which is pretty often these days.) I'm struggling. Yet, I know, when I gain my perspective back God gives me my perspective back, that I'm not in control, God is. He hasn't forgotten about me. He surely hasn't forgotten about Malachi. He knows EXACTLY what's going on and He knows when and how it will all be over. THAT is what I am MOST thankful for!

I found this poem earlier and thought I would share it with you...I might just get this framed!!

This Too Shall Pass
If I can endure for this minute
Whatever is happening to me,
No matter how heavy my heart is
Or how dark the moment may be-
If I can remain calm and quiet
With all the world crashing about me,
Secure in the knowledge God loves me
When everyone else seems to doubt me-
If I can but keep on believing
What I know in my heart to be true,
That darkness will fade with the morning
And that this will pass away, too-
Then nothing in life can defeat me
For as long as this knowledge remains
I can suffer whatever is happening
For I know God will break all of the chains
That are binding me tight in the darkness
And trying to fill me with fear-
For there is no night without dawning
And I know that my morning is near
....Helen Steiner Rice

No comments: