Friday, November 7, 2008

A More Positive Political Blog - And THEN I'M DONE!

What am I thankful for? Yes, I know it's not quite Thanksgiving yet, but, hey, what's wrong with recognizing what you're thankful for all the time???

First of all, I am thankful we live in the greatest nation on Earth. I am thankful that God has chosen to bless this country the way that he has so far. We have sprawling landscapes, we have enough food, we have enough (well...close to enough) water. I have a beautiful sky I can look at every night and see all the stars! Thomas and I have a gorgeous home, 2 cars, paved roads, mail delivery and many more services the government provides that make my life easier and better!! I have insurance provided by my employer (a governmental agency, might I add) that allows me to take my little boy to the Dr. 3 times in one week when he's sick. We have governmental regulations that ensure that I'm somewhat safe on the road, in the air and even on the water (even though I'm not exactly a big fan of open bodies of water!!)

I'm thankful that one of my very best friends and I are on COMPLETELY opposite sides of the aisle, but that we can still be friends. That we're not forced to be enemies because we have polar opposite viewpoints when it comes to politics. I'm thankful that we can be adults when we talk to one another realizing that the other doesn't agree, but listening still and allowing the other party to state her viewpoint! I'm thankful that God chose to give her a beautiful little boy the same way He chose to give me one! I hope one day they can be friends, despite the differences they are sure to have when it comes to their ideas and beliefs. I'm thankful for my friends who do agree with me. (But, that goes without saying doesn't it???)

I'm thankful that I have an internet on which I can post a blog that infuriated some, caused some to think and caused some to post their own blogs in response. I'm thankful that we have that freedom.

I'm thankful for soldiers who fight HARD and give EVERYTHING up so that I have an unregulated internet to post my rants on. I'm thankful for soldiers' families for the private fight they have everyday just to get up in the morning because they are hurting so badly from missing their loved ones. In fact, I challenge each of you to join me in the decision I made early this year. If you see a soldier, a veteran wearing a VFW hat or jacket, or any other serviceman, thank him/her for his/her service and his/her willingness to sacrifice so that all children (on any side of the aisle) can grow up believing what they choose to believe. Isn't that what makes this country great?

I'm thankful that this country has gotten to the point that we can elect a minority president. Even though I don't agree with his ideas about where this country should go next, I am proud that we live in a country that elected him democratically. I'm thankful that maybe, just maybe, we can move on from the injustice that occurred not so long ago and begin to heal that wound. I am thankful that I was able to cast my ballot last Tuesday morning, with my husband by my side, knowing that my voice was heard, even if the majority said something different than me.

I'm thankful for a God who loves the world (John 3:16) including me, when I don't deserve it. I'm thankful that nowhere in the Bible does it say that only Conservatives or Liberals, Republicans or Democrats can go to Heaven. I'm thankful that the Bible says in John 6:40 "And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day." I'm thankful that there is no promise that you have to belong to one religion, or one political ideology in order to go to Heaven and that God offers that to everyone, regardless. Period.

I'm thankful that I have a voice from which I can speak my mind. I'm thankful that I have ears through which I can hear and listen to others! I'm thankful for the Bible which speaks to me and a God who whispers in the night to my soul! I'm thankful for my (government) job! I'm thankful that even though God says no sometimes, that He is still there pointing me in the right direction!! (Not right as in politically or that anyone else is wrong...just what's right for MY life!)

I'm thankful for my incredible husband, my beautiful little boy, and the love that is in our home! I'm thankful for my parents and my brother! I'm thankful for my extended family who has always supported me! I'm thankful for my beautiful nieces and nephew and for the light that I see in their divinely formed eyes! I'm thankful for the childlike faith they show me everyday!!

Most importantly, I'm thankful for my God. I'm thankful for the salvation He promised He would give me and that He followed through on that promise! I'm thankful for the peace that passes all understanding. (Philippians 4:7)

You see, even though I am concerned and some of my friends are concerned about decisions that are sure to be made in the future regarding this country, I am calm. (well...now that I've had a chance to rant a little bit I am...haha!!) I am at peace praying for the leaders of this country, because the Bible says we are to submit ourselves to those leaders knowing God is ultimately in control. Do I have to agree? No. Do I have the right to say that I don't agree or that I'm concerned? Yes. Do I have the right to fight when I don't agree and do what I can to change the directions our leaders are heading? Yes. Do you? Absolutely!

Finally, I'm thankful for the readers of this blog and the fact that they listen, disagree, write their own blogs and that in the midst of all of it, we can remain close and lovingly choose to agree to disagree!!

Thank you God for the many things you have revealed to me that I have to be thankful for! And thank you for the millions of things I couldn't mention on this blog because people have probably stopped reading anyway!! You know what's in my heart even when I screw it up by opening my mouth!

Thanks to Berkeley and Elisa!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I hope Malchi and Antonio are friends too :) They are such little blessings!! Let me know if you make your way to Lubbock this weekend bc me, Michael and Antonio will all be there for the TTU game.

You forgot to mention one last thing to be thankful for...that we are awesome Texas Tech Red Raiders!!! Haha. Go Tech!

Jaden Berkeley and Mia said...

You are cracking me up with -"one more and then I'm done". Good stuff. Good post.:)

Debbie said...

Hey there Thomas, Jamie and Malachi....thanks for stopping over and reading my election thoughts! I enjoyed reading thru yours and the pics of M are great! I've got to put some of JEB on mine, I've got some cute ones!! Keep coming to visit and I'll be cking in on you too!!

Happy day!